The Freshest Fish You’ll Ever Eat!
BLACKENED HALIBUT SITKA ROLLS
Chef Ludger Szmania, Warm Springs Inn & Winery
2 C Sushi Rice
6 oz Halibut, blackened
1 Cucumber, cut into 4 long strips
4 Green Onions
¼ C Sesame Seeds
4 sheets Nori – seaweed wrap
Soy Sauce, low sodium
Rice Wine Vinegar Sushi mat
1 T Paprika
1 T Chile Powder
½ T Garlic Powder
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
Follow rice cooking instructions as laid out in sushi rice recipe. Cool in a large, shallow bowl until slightly above room temperature. Season with a little Rice Wine vinegar and soy sauce.
Blackened Halibut: Sprinkle Halibut with Blackening seasoning and sear in a very hot pan until dark brown (almost black) on each side.
Lay one sheet of Nori, shiny side down on the mat. Wet your fingers with water and spread about ½ C of rice evenly onto the Nori. Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds. Place 1/8 of the cucumber, avocado and halibut in the center of the sheet. Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers and roll into a tight cylinder. Pull away the mat and set aside.Cover with a damp paper towel to keep moist. Repeat until all of the rice has been used. Cut each roll into 6 pieces. Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. Goes great with Saki too!
As an Executive Chef all over the world with Hilton Int’l and the Four Seasons Hotel properties, Ludger and his business partner wife, Julie, opened SZMANIA’S Restaurant in Seattle in 1990 to rave reviews and continued acclaim. After selling Szmania’s in 2014 and moving full-time to eastern Washington, they aim to bring that same level of exceptional service to their new venture, Warm Springs Inn & Winery, in Wenatchee.
Chef Ludger was born and raised near Dusseldorf. His professional education and apprenticeship began in Germany with Hilton International Hotels and continued to Montreal and San Juan Puerto Rico.
Ludger’s experience with the Four Seasons luxury hotel organization started in Vancouver, B.C. then on to Houston Inn At The Park and finally to Seattle’s Olympic Hotel as Executive Chef. Julie Szmania is a Seattle native and prior to opening the restaurant was a development director for the UW School of Medicine and executive director of the WA Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. She and Ludger have three accomplished college-age sons and share a beautiful daughter living in Vancouver, BC. They now reside in Wenatchee with many wild and crazy pets.
Check out Warm Springs Inn & Winery.
More From Hook It and Cook It
Your Package Includes (based on a group of four):
- Full days of fishing with experienced, licensed captain and crew
- Evening meals prepared by Chef Ludger Szmania
- Lodging at Sitka Rock Waterfront Suites
- Complimentary car
- Breakfast and lunch each fishing day
- Transportation to and from Sitka’s airport
- Transportation to and from your lodging to our boats
- Top quality tackle from Penn, Shimano and G.Loomis
- Rain gear and boats
- Highest quality fish processing: vacuum sealed, flash frozen, and boxed to airline specifications
- Up to two boxes included in price, additional flat rate charge of $50 for 25 pound box and $100 for 50 pound box
Your package doesn’t include…
- Airfare (Alaska Airlines & Delta)
- Sitka sales tax and Sitka fish box tax
- Alaska fishing license and King salmon stamp
- Checked baggage fee